Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

ROARRR CULTURAL APPROPRIATION PROM RAGE UGHHHH



Hello, internet.  I haven't seen you in a while.  While I don't have something relating to fashion here, this is something that matters so much to me.  Thanks.


As prom season nears, girls are uploading their prom dresses to a Facebook group.  Today, a (popular) girl posted this very, very, very racist and horrifying dress. Even though I’m Chinese and the dress has a graphic of a Japanese woman (carrying a baby and umbrella nonetheless), I can’t help but feel IMMENSELY offended.  I DO NOT want any culture to be objectified.  I DO NOT want cultural symbols to lose their original meaning, all in the name of fashion and being “exotic” or “edgy”.  I am sick and tired of white people fucking stereotyping all these different cultures as if it doesn’t matter at all.  IT DOES.  A LOT.  I don’t know if I should comment on this or private message her or what, but something has to be done.  I’m tempted to comment, but I don’t want to create any drama or girl-hate.  However, I do want to voice my opinion so the rest of the girls in my class can have some perception of what it’s like constantly dealing with racism and shit.

Along the kind of not really same line of thought, over the holidays, like months ago, my sister and I received this amazing book. It's a really inspiring and empowering collection of personal writings from young Asian-American girls about the struggles, namely racism, they've dealt growing up. I can really relate with most of these stories, which makes me feel not so alone in this world.



Also, here's a great Rookie article (well it's more like a conversation) about cultural appropriation:

http://rookiemag.com/2012/11/something-borrowed/

1 comment:

  1. You should give them a piece of your mind!well...maybe, confrontations never seem to work that well in real life! Still people are just oblivious to things unless someone informs them, or they stumble upon something enlightening.
    Also lol at the comment on facebook...Not sure if it's intended to offend them or not

    ReplyDelete